1. Amendment of ARSA Constitution
The ARSA Council discussed to amend ARSA’s Constitution and By-Laws on membership and agreed to propose such to the General Assembly Meeting to be held during the 6th ARSA International
Conference. The Council thought that there should only be two types of membership to ARSA. These are the institutional and individual memberships.There are two types of institutional
membership such as regional organizations (e.g., Japan, Korea) and academic institutions. Individual memberships can be full memberships and student memberships. The Council
further thought of removing “quasi-membership” as one type of ARSA’s membership.
2. Membership fee system was proposed
to support daily expense of the Association such as maintaining website.Membership fee can be collected by embedding it into the registration fee of international conference participants. The following fee system was proposed depending on country category.
# Full membership fee: US$30/20/10
# Student membership fee (1/2 of Fullmembership): US$15/10/5
3. Succession of Council Members
* Dr. Li Guoqing is succeeded by ProfDeng Dacai (Central China NormalUniversity)
* Dr. Oakla Cho is succeeded by ProfChul-Kyoo Kim (Korea University)
4. IRSA Council Membership
Dr. Lutgarda Tolentino: Vice President of the IRSA (reappointed)
Dr. Motoki Akitsu, Council Member
Dr. Saleh Ali, Council Member
5. MOU with Hasanuddin University
Through the ARSA Council, ARSA signed an MOU with Hasanuddin University for collaborative work on education, research and journal publication between the ARSA and the
Hasanuddin University. Agreed by the Council with minor modification based on the understanding that activities related to the cooperative work with academic institute is already codified in the Constitution.
6. Other Business
* Launching a new journal by the Hasanuddin University Prof Saleh Ali explained their plan to launch a new journal called Journal of Asian Rural Studies (JARS) during the
Council meeting. Council agreed to support the editorial activities related to the journal. Further details will be discussed later related to editorial board,ARSA’s official recognition etc.